Saturday, January 9, 2010

Battle of the Gods

So last night I had quite the interesting and new experience.
I was called to go pick up my friend who was sitting on a corner on a random street puking her delicious dinner out from intoxication. (Her vomit smelled putrid, by the way, as she had quite the rich meal that night.)
Another friend was already there (as was her boyfriend) with her car, encouraging our sick friend to get in the car so as to go home. After much mumbling, crying, vomiting, and refusal, I ended up dialing 911 so that she could be transported in an ambulance to a near-by hospital.
This is when things went in a much different way than I had imagined.
What I thought would happen: a fire truck and ambulance would come carrying about eight people at maximum. They would pick her up, place her on a gurney, and take her to the hospital where she could be treated and released in the morning. Easy!
What actually happened: a fire truck, an ambulance, and a police car arrived. Police personnel: 2 (one very direct woman and one quiet man). Fire personnel: About 6 men. They took no action at all and were there just in case of a sudden fire I suppose? Paramedics: About 7, 1 of whom was a woman, the rest of whom looked like young choir boys.
Basically, the paramedics (most of whom, in addition to the police woman, had flashlights in their hands) took her blood pressure and vital signs. My friend (the healthy one) gave information to the paramedics and cop about my drunk friend's name, address, birth date, etc. The woman EMT told us to just take her home, make sure she sleeps on her side so as not to choke on her vomit, and to check on her periodically through the night to make she her vitals remain normal. If they don't, bring her to the hospital. "She's answering all of our questions coherently so that means she is fine to go home."
What! If I have to make sure someone isn't choking on their vomit every half-hour, that doesn't sound fine to me.
A kind EMT lined the car with "emergency blankets" as others placed a bag around her neck in which she could vomit, and then 2 of them tried to pick her up to get into my friend's car.
She refused to move because she didn't feel good, and immediately started vomiting again after picking her head up to speak.
After some more struggle, the EMTs said, "we give up" and this is where things got interesting.
The lady cop flashed the light in my drunken friends face and said, "You have two options: get in the back of your friend's car and sleep in your bed tonight, or get in the back of a cop car and sleep in a cell tonight in addition to being fined $430," to which the my poor friend replied, "Take me to jail, I deserve to suffer the consequences of my actions."
Obviously, the ultimatum situation didn't work out as planned.
The EMTs then had a sudden change of heart, rushed back over to our friend and decided that she was in much need of hospitalization.
No way would they let that cop take their patient!
They rolled out the gurney (after they just put it back after giving us the schpeal about vital signs), and from there things went a little smoother (after they managed to control her struggling arms). To make things a little more interesting, the EMT took pictures of my friend in the ambulance (with the camera we provided him for which he asked) and said, "She'll want to see these when she's laughing about it next week." The other sober friend and I later deleted the pictures as we decided they weren't funny at all as we were waiting in the Emergency Room to go back and see our friend. It was 3am when we left the ER and 5:30AM when she had to be picked up and brought home to sleep.

What did I learn from all of this? EMTs don't like police women.

No comments:

Post a Comment