Monday, March 15, 2010

A poet's home is in their head


Ok. So my friend Kevin R. told me about how great this coffee place, Black Horse, is. I've come to love it as he does so. I was walking around downtown by myself, as I periodically do and stopped at the Uptown Cafe (aka Blackhorse) to drink a caramello (beats a carmel machiatto by a longshot). I sat down at a table inside to do some recreational reading. My friend Jaq gave me a book of poems for my birthday. It's called The Beautiful, by Michelle Tea.

The Smiths were on the radio, and I was proud to be able to recognize that. Total indie cred.

As I was reading and scribbling some thoughts over the poems, I began to eavesdrop on four women at the table near by. They were probably in their upper 50s, low 60s. I laughed out loud when they were talking about the Twlight book/movie series and one of the women said in reply to her friend's, "It's so juvenile" comment, "It's not juvenile, it's moronic."

About a week later I eavedropped on another conversation in the same coffee shop. A scruffy guy said, "That guy is crazy if he thinks that just because a judge ordered it I'm going to pay him $6,000."
Smart.



No comments:

Post a Comment