Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Ugly [fat] Truth

Last night, I was watching the Lifetime channel with my mom and sister, and we saw this show in which Nikki Blonski (from Hairspray) starred. It was based off of a true story where a fat girl was nominated for homecoming queen as a joke, but the fat girl decided to stay in the race as a protest. [And whaddya know, she ended up winning!] In the show, Blonski’s character is interviewed by a newspaper journalist and says that she doesn’t think it is right that she is alienated for being fat. During this interview, it shows flashes of her over-eating, bingeing on junk food. This is where I have a problem. I propose: is it politically incorrect to alienate a pot-head? No. Is it incorrect to send a drunkard to rehab? No. If Lifetime wants to teach people a life lesson to not make fun of fat people, well I think they are doing it all wrong. Just as pot-heads and alcoholics, Blonski’s character had an unhealthy addiction: food and sedentary lifestyle. Adults send adults to rehab to show the people they love how they are destroying their bodies. Teenagers make fun of other teenagers who are fat, and that is how they communicate. So if it were up to me, Blonski cannot complain about being fat and being alienated until she stops over-eating and jumps on a treadmill. I don’t expect to sit around smoking pot on the daily and then cry and call it inappropriate when people call me a pothead. Sorry.*

*Disclaimer: I encourage health. I do not condone anorexia nor bulimia, etc. Some people can never be “skinny” but all people can be healthy. Turn that fat into muscle, girl!


Fireflies - Owl City

1 comment: